Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fan Profile: Letty Limbach

Name & Age: Letty Limbach, 26

Hometown: Pocatello, Idaho

Where do you live now? Ballard
You say Ballard, not Seattle. Are you one of those "Free-Ballard" types? *laughs* No, although the dedication at the clock tower is pretty funny.

Hogwarts House: I'd like to be in Gryffindor, but I would probably be in Ravenclaw. I tended to be a rather bookish child.

How did you start reading the series? I was at my cousin's house in 8th grade and they were all reading it and talking about how awesome it was, so I tried it and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Did you ever dress up for a book or movie release?Yes, I was a student from Beauxbatons for the 4th movie premiere and Narcissa Malfoy for the last book release. It's tough having blonde hair in the Harry Potter universe. I have a theory that JK Rowling doesn't like blondes.
What? Why? Well, Luna is awesome, but crazy, Fleur is super annoying (although I guess she gets a bit better later in the series) and then you have the Malfoys.

I see. Who's your favorite character then? Remus Lupin. He was really the only effective Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He's also a down and out character who's awesome nonetheless - very thoughtful and generous, in addition to being totally kickass. I was sad to see him mostly disappear after the third book. When he did appear again, he was different somehow - less awesome, rather angsty, and a bit self-pitying (understandable, but inconsistent with his character in the third book), and then he arbitrarily dies at the end.
I've read that J.K. Rowling decided to have Lupin & Tonks die because she couldn't bring herself to kill Arthur Weasley. Seriously?  I must confess that I would have preferred that.  I also always felt like she should have killed off Percy instead of Fred-it would have been a perfect redemptive death for him.  Although, to be completely honest, I don't like any characters dying. I'm definitely the happy-ending type.
Does that mean you liked the epilogue? NO.

What was your favorite Harry Potter Moment? When Snape passes his memories to Harry as he's dying.  You finally get why you kind of love him in spite of everything... and the entire third book!

The Quibbler or The Daily Prophet? The Daily Prophet, definitely.

What would you order off the Trolley? Chocolate Frogs, for the trading cards.

What would your patronus be? The Abominable Snowman because he is a gentle giant just like me :)

Which character did you love to hate? Snape. He's a very complex character, but he's also such a jerk through a lot of the series. He can be so cruel for no reason, though the cruelty is often petty rather than anything more serious.  I think I got so frustrated with him because I knew, deep down, that he was a good person.  I never questioned his loyalty. It would have been too easy for him to be that kind of character.

What's your favorite class at Hogwarts? Maybe Potions... but then, I'd probably dislike Snape as a teacher. So then it would be Defense Against the Dark Arts under Lupin. Though Transfiguration sounds fun too and Professor McGonagall is amazing. Or if Quidditch was a class...
Wouldn't we all love Quidditch to be a class? What position would you play? Well, I would want to play seeker...I like to go fast, but I'm not sure I'd have the hand/eye coordination :P

Owl, Cat, or Toad? Ooh, owls are really useful as messagers, so I'll have to go with that for practicality, although cats are cuddley and fluffy, which would also be highly useful...

Did the stories have any impact on your life? Well, they caused me to make a couple of costumes... and to carve my own wand!

Why do so many people love Harry Potter? J.K. Rowling wrote characters that you can really form an attachment to. And the story of good versus evil/hero's journey tends to be universally appealing.  Something of the serendipitous "right time/right place" may have factored into it as well.  Ultimately, though, she does tell a good yarn :)

Do you have a question about the story that was never answered? Under the influence of previous profiles, I'd second the question about how Sirius died.  Wispy veils with voices?  There's gotta be something more to it than that...

If you could change one thing about the books, what would it be? I'm not sure how, but I would have liked it if some of the secondary characters could have gotten more space and development as many of seemed more interesting/complex/unique than the primary ones.  She would introduce great characters but then just scratch the surface.  I was left wanting quite a bit: Luna, Neville, Tonks, Lupin, even the Malfoys...

And of course, I would leave out the epilogue.

Are you on the web? I am! http://copperclockdance.com/


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers